Why Do I Need an Open Patella / Open Back Knee Sleeve?
This neoprene knee sleeve is one of BraceAbility’s most popular knee braces with an opening around your patella (kneecap) and popliteal (behind your kneecap). BraceAbility’s open patella neoprene knee support was designed to protect your knee from future injuries, alleviate your knee pain, and provide comfortable support to your knees.
This knee sleeve can help treat many causes of knee pain and knee conditions including:
Knee arthritis (knee osteoarthritis (OA))
Moderate knee sprains and knee strains
6 Reasons Why People Love This Neoprene Knee Sleeve
This hassle-free slip-on recovery knee sleeve can be worn interchangeably on your right or left knee. There are no adjustable straps, closures, or fastens to deal with, making application quick and simple for athletes and non-athletes alike.
The open patella and open popliteal design prevents bunching
If you find solid neoprene knee supports or ACE bandages sweaty and uncomfortable, this brace is definitely a better fit for you. Although full coverage knee sleeves provide a little extra support, they tend to bunch behind your knee joint and slide down during physical activities and sports. This open front/back neoprene knee sleeve is a more breathable option and stays put without bunching, giving your knees the support they really need.
Great for athletes
The extra support provided by this knee brace allows athletes suffering from sports-related injuries to continue their normal fitness routine. However, powerlifters and bodybuilders often favor BraceAbility’s closed patella knee sleeve for its extra support.
Made from 3/16” thick premium-grade neoprene
This discreet black knee sleeve is 13” long and 3/16” thick, making it not too flashy and flat enough to fit under ordinary pants, such as jeans, but still thick enough to provide adequate compression and support.
This water-resistant knee brace is perfect for swimming, a great exercise for people trying to lose weight and much easier on your knees than running if you have knee problems.
Reduces swelling and promotes healing
This neoprene material provides warmth and moderate elastic compression to your sore knee, which reduces swelling and encourages blood flow to speed up your healing process.
Is This Black Neoprene Knee Sleeve Waterproof?
Similar to the wetsuits scuba divers wear, this open patellar knee sleeve is unique because it is made out of premium-grade 3/16” thick neoprene, which is water-resistant. Meaning, this neoprene knee sleeve able to resist the penetration of water to some degree but not entirely.
If you do wear this knee sleeve when you are sweating profusely, showering, or for a swim, it is important to lay this knee sleeve flat to dry out completely before using it again for swimming, rowing, sailing, waterskiing, wakeboarding or surfing, for example.
For more knee supports that can be worn in the water, see BraceAbility’s full line of neoprene knee braces.
Frequently Asked Questions about this Knee Sleeve
- Who can wear it? With sizes from S all the way up to 4XL, anyone from kids and teens to adults can wear this knee sleeve. Our larger sizes will even fit plus size or overweight men and women.
- How do I know what size to get? Using a fabric tape measure, measure the circumference of your leg 6” above the center of your kneecap and 6” below the center of your kneecap. To get the most accurate measurements, we recommend having a close family member or friend assist you. Refer to our detailed sizing instructions to choose the right size.
- What conditions does this knee brace treat? Helps to manage pain from injuries like knee arthritis, knee osteoarthritis (OA), knee sprains, knee strains, patellofemoral pain syndrome, runner's knee, jumper's knee, and general knee pain.
- How do I put on this knee sleeve?
- Insert your foot into the largest end of the knee sleeve.
- The stitched seam should run down the backside of your leg, centered behind your kneecap
- Continue pulling up until there is approximately 6” of material above your kneecap.
- There should be opening around your kneecap (patella) and at the back of your knee (popliteal)
- Can I wear this brace over my pants? Yes, but this knee brace is meant to fit against your skin for a better grip. It can be worn above tight pants or leggings if necessary.
- How tall is this knee sleeve? 13”
- What material is this sleeve made of? Latex-free, 3/16” thick premium-grade neoprene
- When should I wear this knee sleeve? This lightweight knee brace can be comfortably worn all day while sitting, standing, and during physical activity. However, you should check with your primary care physician before wearing any compression knee sleeve while sleeping.
- Can I wash this neoprene knee brace? Yes. We recommend hand washing this knee brace with mild soap and then lay flat to air dry completely for about 24 hours.
Running With the Neoprene Sleeve
The sleeve did provide stability of patella-femoral movement during jogging without slipping and was very helpful in that regard; my only problem was that the back of the sleeve pressed against the upper popliteal fossa soft tissues and caused post run tenderness in that area. Some soft padding in that area would likely alleviate that problem.
The Best Knee Support for Bad Knees
I had a maniscus tear in my knee. Even with surgery and therapy, the knee was never the same. I love to hike along the Colorado Plateau. When I was at Bryce Canyon NP, I purchased the knee brace at the General Store. It was fantastic! I purchased a second one for my other knee before leaving Bryce. The support was exactly what I needed and allowed me to continue my hiking during my trip and experience the Colorado Plateau many gorgeous 'out of the way places'. I never would have been able to hike to 'The Wave,' had it not been for the knee supports. Thank you for this wonderful product. I am purchasing some knee braces for Xmas presents.
Have bought from them before and the brace worked great. Got another one for the other knee. Have bone on bone and it helps between shots.
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with our Neoprene Open Patella. It means so much when our best customers share their experiences. We're glad we were able to meet your expectations!
Product and telephone assistance
We ordered two knee sleeves. The first being too small although the measurements matched the size. The phone rep was vary helpful in returning it and shipping the next larger size. Along with feedback regarding a query I made about un-streched size being perhaps too small. She obtained the response came from your design folks. And was prompt to call back when it was available. An outstanding ph0ne rep. We are amateurs groping for a pain solution without recommendations from the local medical staff. So "non-success"" is not, in our opinion but perhaps we're not getting the correct brace. That remains a work in progress at this end. Editorial note. Responding to you email nudge, there is a comment at the bottom which states "Having trouble with this form? Submit online" - and provides a link - which takes me to exactly the identical form. Duh. I had wanted to send an attachment cartoon to the very professional phone rep, but cannot find any mechanism to accomplish that task. Amazing phone support and return policy. Thank you.
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with our Neoprene Open Patella. It means so much when our best customers share their experiences. I’m glad we were able to meet your expectations!
feels like my knee is more stable but the upper protion of neoprine sleeve slips. I measured my knee and ordered the correct size but I do belive I should have ordered one size lager for a more comfortable fit. I do feel that its a good product. I’ll order larger size soon.