Broken Upper Arm: What is a Humerus Fracture?
A humerus fracture is a broken upper arm bone located between your shoulder and elbow. There are three types of humerus fracture injuries based on the location. A break at the top of your arm bone is called the proximal humerus fracture, and the bottom of the bone is called the distal humerus fracture. Between is a humerus shaft fracture.
Sarmiento Brace for Humeral Fracture
A Sarmiento brace is used to stabilize a fracture in your upper arm while leaving your elbow free, allowing motion in your forearm and hand. Promoting the recovery of long-bone humerus fractures, the clamshell Sarmiento brace compresses your surrounding muscles and soft tissues. Its cylinder-shape provides a stabilizing force equal in all directions (circumferential compression), which limits motion at the fracture site so it can heal correctly.
The splint is intended for the treatment of mid-humerus fractures (diaphyseal) or for deep bruises to your humerus bone. The bicep brace can also protect and support your arm after humerus fracture surgery if you have a displaced spiral fracture of the humerus or multiple fractures, for example.
Talk to your doctor as treatment varies depending on the type and severity of the break. Nonoperative therapy usually includes the placement of fracture bracing, a cast, and/or sling that will be followed by a cylindrical brace (Sarmiento brace) ten days to four weeks later. It may take several weeks to months for your broken arm to fully heal.
The Sarmiento brace was named after Augusto Sarmiento Rosillo, who first developed successful strategies for fracture bracing that showed advantages of early motion and decreased need for long periods of fracture immobilization. This approach to fracture bracing is known as functional fracture bracing because it rightly reflects the primary advantage of this technique—maintenance of the joint and muscle function while decreasing costs, rehabilitation time, and surgical complications.
For humeral condyle fracture care, check out our selection of elbow braces.
Key Features and Benefits of This Sarmiento Brace
Two Free Stockinette Upper Arm Sleeves Included
For additional comfort and light support, this Sarmiento long humeral splint comes with two stockinette undersleeves. These are composed of high-quality 100% cotton. Some instructions for treating a humerus bone break recommend wearing two sleeves for a period of time. Or if one will suffice, the pair of sleeves makes cleaning them more convenient.
Although the brace comes with two stockinette undersleeves, some people prefer to have at least three or four on hand for alternating while washing. Extra stockinettes sleeves for humeral bracing are available for purchase.
Fractured Humerus Sling
There is also a wrist cuff and arm sling included with your purchase to support your arm, holding your elbow in a bent position—making this into a coaptation splint for a humerus fracture if additional immobilization is needed. The sling wraps around your neck, and a small pad protects your wrist from direct contact with the strap. This optional portion of the broken humerus brace can be added or removed.
Lightweight and Breathable Design
The shells of the Sarmiento brace for humerus fracture treatment are constructed of rigid polyethylene material that is lightweight and durable. A closed-cell foam lining makes the Sarmiento humeral brace soft against your skin.
The shell of the arm brace for fracture of your humerus has numerous slats and holes that allow heat and moisture to escape. This improves the breathability of this arm brace.
Adjustable Strapping System
The strapping system of this Sarmiento brace for humerus fracture care allows you to easily adjust and customize its fit. There are two contact-closure straps around the upper arm, each of which can be tightened or loosened as needed as your humerus bone fracture care progresses.
There is also a strap around your shoulder that wraps beneath your opposite arm, securing your shoulder against your body and holding the bicep brace in place.
Wear on Your Right or Left Arm
The shoulder brace can be worn on your right or left arm. Suitable for men, women, and even some older kids.
Easy to Clean
The plastic shells of this broken upper arm brace can be wiped clean using a damp cloth and disinfectant or soap. The removable liners can be washed by hand using cool water and mild detergent. Note that the sleeves should not be washed or dried using high temperatures (since they are cotton, they may shrink).
How to Shower With a Broken Humerus?
After the pain of the break comes a variety of lifestyle modifications you’ll need to make to keep up with day-to-day activities. For example, your broken humerus arm must remain still while showering, meaning you’re limited to using one hand only.
Since our Sarmiento Brace isn’t water safe, we recommend purchasing our Waterproof Arm Sling just for showering. Maybe “waterproof” isn’t the best phrasing, as this sling will still absorb water, but it is safe to get wet and dries relatively fast.
Many patients also benefit from using a plastic shower chair. This will allow you to sit while using a handheld shower sprayer, which is safe and practical. Some people find it easiest to wash their hair in the sink. If you go this route, simply place your shampoo, conditioner, and towel nearby on the counter, so they’re handy to grab.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Humerus Fracture Splint
- What conditions / injuries does this Sarmiento brace treat? Specifically designed for mid-humerus fractures (diaphyseal) or for deep bruises to your humerus bone. It can also protect and support your arm after humerus fracture surgery if you have a displaced spiral fracture of the humerus or multiple fractures.
- How does it work? Promoting the recovery of humerus fractures, the Sarmiento brace compresses your surrounding muscles and soft tissues. Its cylinder-shape provides a stabilizing force equal in all directions (circumferential compression), which limits motion at the fracture site so it can heal correctly.
- When should I wear it? This brace is designed for all-day wear.
- Can I sleep with it? Consult your doctor to determine if this is the right sleeping support for your injury.
- What is it made of? Constructed of rigid polyethylene laminated with closed cell foam lining and hook and loop closures; includes two cotton stockinette undersleeves and one woven-polyester arm sling.
- Is it waterproof? No. Since our Sarmiento Brace isn’t water safe, we recommend purchasing our Waterproof Arm Sling for showering.
- Who can wear this brace? Designed for men and women. May fit some older children.
- What size should I buy? Please refer to our size chart before purchasing.
- Can I put it on by myself? Possibly but depending on the severity of your humeral fracture, the application process may require assistance.
- How do I put it on? Apply cotton undersleeve(s), if desired. Position shell on your shoulder and fasten straps, starting at your elbow and working up. Wrap the top strap behind your back, under your healthy arm, and attach. For additional immobilization, use arm sling.
- Can I wear it on either arm? Yes, the shoulder brace is reversible for use on your right or left arm.
- Can I tighten it while wearing it? Yes, the front-facing buckles, allow users to adjust the arm straps, as well as the sling.
- Washing Instructions: Plastic shells can be wiped with a damp cloth and disinfectant or mild soap. Hand wash stockinettes in cool water with mild detergent and air dry. Do not use high temperatures to wash or dry stockinettes, as they are made of 100% cotton and will shrink.
- Other features:
- The proximal humerus fracture splint has a strap that wraps beneath the opposite arm, limiting the motion allowed at the shoulder
- Brace de Sarmiento allows some movement, which helps one to make a full recovery
- Deltoid cap extension of the broken shoulder brace prevents it from migrating
- Cuff-style arm sling of this humeral Sarmiento brace offers additional support and immobilization
- Color: White
- Small: 8.3 oz.
- Medium: 8.9 oz.
- Large: 9.6 oz.
- XL: 10.5 oz.
- 2XL: 11.8 oz.
Fit is nice and comfort superior to other material braces
Feedback regarding the purchase of the medium brace for my left arm.
Great brace overall! I didn’t get an invoice nor an instruction leaflet on how to use the brace, but my family and I figured it out I have recommended this brace to others and will continue to do so. Please mail me the above mentioned paperwork as my printer is out of order.. Thank you so much.
My Brace Ability
Love this brace, fits better than the one from the hospital at half the price!