What Is Elbow Bursitis?
Elbow bursitis, the most common type of bursitis, in an inflammation of the bursa located over your olecranon (the pointy bone at the tip of your elbow). A bursa is a slippery, fluid-filled sac that typically allows smooth movement around bony prominences, such as your elbow joint. When a bursa becomes inflamed, the sac fills with fluid. This can cause pain, redness, and noticeable swelling behind your elbow.
What Causes Olecranon Bursitis?
Ever experienced a painful sensation at the tip of your elbow after a long day of work? Leaning your elbow on the counter for long periods of time can irritate the bursa, resulting in bursitis.
Plumbers, heating and cooling technicians, mechanics, carpenters, and others who have to work on their elbows are more likely to develop bursitis. In addition, these types of jobs can cause knee bursitis. People who work on a computer or study while resting on their elbows at a desk are also at a higher risk.
Consequently, it’s no surprise that elbow bursitis has adopted several other popular names including student’s elbow, miner’s elbow, plumber’s elbow, etc.
A hard blow or direct impact to your elbow could cause the bursa to swell.
Around 20% of people with popeye’s elbow have septic bursitis, an infection of the olecranon bursa. You can develop an infection of the bursa through a cut, scrape, or even an insect bite.
Certain medications, as well as an underlying medical condition or disease, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or pseudogout, can also increase your chances of getting elbow bursitis.
Why You Need This Wrap-Around Padded Elbow Sleeve
Wondering what is good for elbow bursitis relief? Get back to your favorite activities, ease pain and discomfort, protect your elbow against bursitis, and help prevent infection by wearing this protective elbow pad—the best guard and cushion for your olecranon elbow joint!
In addition to bursitis of the elbow, this support brace with pad can also help relieve uncomfortable symptoms associated with other conditions including:
- Arthritis and osteoarthritis
- Fluid or water on the elbow
- General elbow pain
- Athletic injuries
Elbow osteoarthritis refers to degeneration of the cushioning cartilage at the end of your bones, which is necessary for smooth movement of your joint. Over time, this cartilage can break down and erode, leading to painful bone-on-bone rubbing, swelling, stiffness, restricted motion, and instability.
Wearing this universal wrap also acts as a helpful reminder to avoid putting pressure on your arthritic elbow joint, inflamed bursa, etc.
Elbow Pad Protector: 5 Features & Benefits
Memory Foam Padding
Soft, memory foam padding contours to your elbow like a gel, providing optimal protection for all-day support for elbow pain and injury treatment. The durable yet comfortable foam padding helps absorb shock, ensuring your elbow joint remains pressure-free.
The neoprene material is an excellent thermal insulator, providing consistent therapeutic heat to your sore elbow joint, thereby boosting blood circulation. This can help your body more effectively metabolize lactic acid and other natural by-products of fatigue, accelerating tissue recovery for a faster recovery process. Perfect for relieving chronic pains linked to arthritis, reducing inflammation and swelling, or protecting sensitive tendons and muscle tissue while you heal.
One Size Fits Most
Hook and loop closures are easy to adjust for a customized level of compression. Featuring two wrap-around straps, this elbow wrap bandage is incredibly easy to put on, take off, and adjust on the fly.
Suitable for both men and women, this lightweight elbow band can be worn on either your right or left arm and is fully adjustable for a completely customized fit.
An opening over your elbow crease allows you to bend more easy at the elbow. As with most sleeves, braces, and splints don’t expect a full range of motion, but everyday tasks such as driving or using the restroom shouldn’t be a problem!
Frequently Asked Questions About This Olecranon Bursitis Elbow Cushion
- Who can wear it? The universal design fits most adult men and women, as well as some children.
- How do I know what size to get? To determine your size, find the circumference around your elbow joint, in inches and refer to our sizing graphic.
- Can it be worn on my right or left arm? The single elbow protector can be worn on either your right or left arm.
- What conditions does this cushioned elbow brace treat? Lightweight compression and padded cushioning provided by the brace is ideal for treatment of a number of conditions and injuries including bursitis, osteoarthritis, tendon pain, repetitive use injury, injuries from sports, fitness or lifting, baker’s or Popeye elbow, and golfer’s or tennis elbow.
- How do I put it on? Loosen the fastener straps. Slide your arm through the brace. Center your elbow on the pad with the opening over your elbow crease. Adjust and attach the fastener straps for a comfortable fit.
- Can I wear this bursitis elbow cup over long sleeved shirts? Yes, this elbow compression sleeve can be worn over long sleeved shirts. In fact, some people prefer the added layer of fabric between their arm and the padded splint.
- How tall is this elbow protector? 9 inches tall.
- What material is it made of? Premium-grade neoprene lined with nylon, integrated memory foam padding, and medical-grade hook and loop closures. All components are latex free.
- When should I wear it? Always consult with your doctor for specific usage instructions.
- Washing instructions: Hand wash in warm water with mild soap. Allow the brace to air dry completely before reapplying. Do not use high temperatures to wash or dry.
- Other Features:
- Can be worn on your left or right arm
- Medical-grade hook and loop fastener is 10 times stronger than standard, retail-grade fastener
- High-density memory foam shields your elbow from impact
- Color: Black.
Although it fit to the size was too constricted.
Well made. Comfortable, but I'm at the limit to how far it can stretch. Slightly snug but other than that excellent product.
Very good quality and fit.
The only reason for the 4star and not the 5star, is the difficulty doing up the Velcro with one hand. Not a big deal, but if somehow it could be made easier, then dare I say it would be the “perfect “ elbow pad!!!!!!
great if you've got Bursitis
It worked and reduced the inflamation. It's much more comfortable than other compression sleeves. -Ben