How Does KT Tape Work?
Kinesiology tape is widely known and used by active men and women, but how exactly does this magical tape work? Often used by physical therapists, athletic trainers, athletes, and runners, the therapeutic tape helps support muscles and joints in order to reduce pain and promote healthy, natural healing. KT tape treats and heals the connective tissue, joints, muscles, and tendons in your body. By taping, you support your body while allowing blood and other bodily fluids to move freely around the injured muscle, promoting active healing. The athletic tape helps improve circulation and allows the internal injury to heal while preventing any further injury without immobilization. Simple and easy to use, the roll comes in 20 precut 10-inch strips for quick application, so you can get back to doing what you love as soon as possible!
The Top 5 Benefits of Kinesiology Tape
Helps Treat a Variety of Muscle Pain & Conditions
Whether it’s a sprained ankle, weak aching knees, plantar fasciitis, or any other joint or muscle pain, KT tape can help increase mobility and enhance recovery. Plus, anyone can wear KT tape, whether you’re a teenage athlete, a soon-to-be-mother, or an older man or woman, taping can help relieve your pain. The wrap will effectively help relieve pressure and pain placed on your muscles and joints, allowing for an active recovery.
Breathable, Flexible & Discreet Support
Unlike other elastic bandages such as ACE wraps, Kinesio tape was designed to be worn while you’re active. Thanks to the thin and breathable material of the bandage, you can wear KT tape for 1-3 days comfortably while you are active. Available in both black and beige colors, the tape is discreet and hardly noticeable. You should apply the tape directly to your skin, and you can wear clothes over the tape without anyone knowing!
Support Wherever You Need It
One of the biggest benefits of KT tape is the wide variety of ways you can use it to help with muscle pain, strains, and conditions. You can apply the elastic bandage on your neck, back, elbow, wrist, ribs, legs, calves, and ankles. This will gently lift the skin enough to help with pain, bruising, and swelling while keeping your injured muscle away from a dangerous range of motion. With this taping roll of 20 precut strips, you’ll have convenient support that will last. The tape is quick and easy to apply, too, so you’ll be able to get back to doing what you love in no time.
Peak Performance & Protection
Make sure you stay on top of your game and protect yourself from any further injuries with this elastic bandaging. The quality of the materials allows for multiple-day use, even while you’re active. KT tape is designed to help relieve your pain while you’re moving, exercising, or working out. Don’t let your injury slow you down, use kinesiology tape for comfortable wear and pain relief no matter what you’re doing!
Non-Latex & Non-Irritating Materials
No need to worry about the tape not staying in place as you’re exercising, or staying active throughout the day. The adhesive precut strips are latex-free and hypo-allergenic and designed to last through humidity, sweat, showers, and multiple days of wear. On top of staying put, you’ll hardly even notice the KT tape is there, thanks to the non-irritating, lightweight and flexible materials.
What is KT Tape Used For?
When an injury occurs, blood and other bodily fluids build up, which causes swelling and inflammation. If the swelling is excessive, your body isn’t able to deliver oxygen and nutrients to your healing tissues. KT tape gently lifts the skin from the tissues, creating space and improving blood flow, alleviating pressure, and reducing swelling. You can also use kinesiology tape to support and protect muscles and joints while you’re active.
Kinesiology therapeutic tape helps treat and manage a wide variety of muscle pain and conditions, such as:
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Tennis elbow
- Chronic pain
- Pregnancy pressure pain
- Plantar fasciitis
- Carpal tunnel
- Runner’s knee
- Golfer’s elbow
- Shin splints
- Joint pain
Keep in mind that KT tape is not clinically proven for all injuries, although it is believed that correct taping can help provide support and protection to muscles which may help reduce discomfort and pain.
How to Use Kinesiology Tape: What Does Athletic Tape Do?
It’s great for a variety of muscle and joint pain and conditions, but how can you ensure you’re using the tape correctly? The elastic sports tape was created for active men and women, you should apply the bandage about an hour before any type of activity. KT is not only for athletes, it can also help with a variety of conditions, including plantar fasciitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, and the strips can even help relieve pressure and pain for pregnant women. KT taping is a great, easy, and cost-effective form of treatment for any type of muscle, joint, or tendon pain.
Does KT Tape Really Work?
Sure, the Kinesio tape sounds great, but you want to know if it’s right for you and the pain you’ve been dealing with. Kinesiology tape can help a wide range of people with a wide range of conditions, injuries, and pain. If you are experiencing any condition resulting in muscle or joint pain, it’s very likely that Kinesio wrapping can be an effective fix for you. More importantly, if you’re looking for support that can endure your day-to-day activities and workouts, this tape is perfect for you. Before using KT tape, you should speak with a physical therapist to discuss if it will be the best option for you.
How to Apply Kinesiology Tape
In order to get the most out of the elastic bandage wrap, you’ll want to make sure you are applying the tape correctly onto the right location on your body to relieve your specific pain. There are multiple different ways to apply Kinesio tape you can follow, as the wrap can help relieve pain in many areas. Here are some basic KT tape application tips:
- Apply about one hour before any activity
- Make sure your skin is clean, dry, and free of excess hair
- Cut the tape if necessary (if you’re applying tension the tape should be slightly shorter than where it will be applied at)
- Be aware of the specific pattern to use for your diagnosis
- Don’t overstretch the tape as you apply
- End with your hand on your skin, not on the tape
- Make sure you don’t stretch the 2-inch anchors on each end of the strip
Keep in mind that the tape will need to be applied correctly before you are able to experience any pain-relieving results. Follow application videos in order to get the most out of your Kinesio tape.
Frequently Asked Questions About Kinesio Athletic Tape
- What conditions / injuries does the elastic bandage treat? Use the elastic bandage for a range of muscle and joint pain and conditions such as plantar fasciitis, strained muscles, sprained ankle, carpal tunnel syndrome, golfer’s elbow, tennis elbow, knee, calf, neck or shoulder pain.
- Who can wear it? Anyone can wear the Kinesio tape, from teens to elderly men and women.
- Can you wear KT tape while sleeping? Yes, the Kinesio tape can be left on overnight, but it should be removed after a maximum of 3 days.
- How do I apply kinesiology tape?
- Apply one hour before any athletic activity (exercise, walking, etc.)
- Use alcohol wipes to clean the skin of dirt, lotions, and oils
- Assure the body hair where you will apply is trimmed or completely removed
- Apply according to pain, injury, or condition without overstretching the tape
- Rub the strips to active adhesion to your skin
- Can I wear it over my clothes? This therapeutic tape is meant to be worn directly against your skin for the best results.
- How long can I keep it on? You can keep this therapy tape on for 1-3 days. Remove the tape if you experience any irritation.
- How do I take the bandage off? To remove, gently lift the edge of the tape, folding the tape back on itself. Avoid pulling the tape away from your body to prevent overstretching and injuring your skin.
- What materials is the therapy tape made of? This KT tape roll consists of 20 precut 10-inch strips made of 100% cotton with specialized elastic cores. The adhesive is latex-free and hypo-allergenic.
- Is the tape waterproof? The tape is not waterproof, but it is water-resistant, meaning you can still sweat and shower without the Kinesio tape coming off.
- What materials is the therapy tape made of? This KT tape is made of 100% cotton with specialized elastic cores. The adhesive is latex-free and hypo-allergenic.
- Washing instructions: After the use time of 1-3 days, the tape will need to be removed and disposed of. Always start with a fresh, unused piece of tape to avoid skin irritation.
- Other features:
- Pre-cut and ready to apply right out of the box.
- Strong support without a limited range of motion.
- Adjusts to you, making the tape perfect for all body types.
- Color: Black or beige.
K Tape. Easy to use. Gentle on skin. Easy to remove. Very supportive. Helps with pain and swelling. Look
Helped immensely with my pain in my broken arm
Satisfactorily addressed my problem.