Is This Lower Back Brace Right for Me?
Struggling with low-back pain? Choosing the right brace or product is an intimidating task. Whether your low back pain is caused by a pulled muscle, herniated disc, or arthritis, you won’t go wrong with this belt.
The ability of this brace to completely support your lower back makes it a good option for many different lumbar back injuries or conditions including:
- General lumbar weakness
- Stable, non-displaced spinal fractures (L2-L5)
- Facet syndrome
- Other sources of chronic or acute back pain
How Does This Brace Help Me Recover from a Lumbar Herniated Disc?
A herniated disc, also known as a slipped or ruptured disc, is a common condition, especially in older adults. The pain can be quite disruptive to your everyday life.
A ruptured lumbar disc refers to when some of the soft inner material of a disc slips through a crack in its tough exterior. This differs from a bulging disc where the disc simply bulges outside of the space it normally occupies without rupturing. But the symptoms, causes, and conservative modes of care for herniated and bulging discs are largely the same.
Still unsure about the difference between herniated, bulging, and ruptured discs? Check out this blog to help you differentiate between these spinal conditions.
Do I Have a Slipped or Herniated Disc?
The cause of a herniated disc in your spine or a bulging disc is often the gradual disc degeneration that occurs as you age. Sometimes a traumatic event or using your back muscles to lift something large or improperly is to blame for a ruptured disc in your lower back.
Symptoms of a Herniated Disc
In some cases, you may not even be aware this has happened. But if the herniated disk impacts one or several spinal nerves, it can cause intense pain in your buttocks, thigh, and calf that can eventually shoot into your arm or legs when you cough, sneeze, twist, etc.
Other ruptured disc symptoms include numbness or tingling in the affected area, muscle weakness, and loss of bladder control in severe cases.
How to Care for a Herniated Disc
- Rest and avoid high contact sports and heavy lifting
- Perform therapeutic physical therapy exercises
- Use heat and ice therapy to reduce inflammation and soothe sore tissues
- Talk to your doctor about injections or surgery
- Buy a high-quality mattress for disc herniation
Whether you are able to treat a herniated disk using a conservative or surgical approach will depend upon the severity of your symptoms, as well as the health of the individual. In roughly 90% of patients, conservative methods are enough to ease the symptoms of a herniated disc. But for a small number of patients, surgery to remove the protruding part of the disc or, in rare cases, the entire disc.
This at-home decompression back brace offers the support you will need after undergoing such surgeries. While herniated discs are most common in the lumbar spine, they can also occur farther up in the thoracic and cervical spine. Because the inserts of this device extend to your T9 vertebrae, the traction brace can also help with a herniated disc in your middle or upper back.
5 Reasons People Love This Decompression Back Brace
Front and Back Panels Provide Maximum Support
The combination of anterior (front) and posterior (back) panels provides optimal compression and stabilization, which reduces pressure on your spine by shifting some of the load to your abdomen and improving your posture. The inserts are made of a lightweight, heavy-duty plastic that is durable, impact- and heat-resistant. Anatomically designed, the medical-grade inserts support the natural curve of your spine for a comfortable fit! Although we recommend leaving them in, except when washing, both panels can be removed. Depending on the level of compression you desire or what activities you are doing, your back may need more or less support.
Comfortable and Breathable Material
This traction brace for lower back pain relief is comprised of a breathable and soft material. You don’t have to worry about the lumbosacral corset rubbing or irritating your skin as the mesh material lies comfortably against your back. Due to the lightweight material, you can wear this full back support beneath or over your clothes, depending on your preference.
Secured via fasteners, which makes the application process for this decompression belt for lower back pain fairly simple. However, for the best fit and easiest application, you may want someone to help you put on the brace, especially the first time. If you have limited upper body strength or arthritis, make sure to use the convenient hand loops. Elastic double-pull tabs make it easy to achieve a secure and custom fit. The closures are located in the front so you don’t have to worry about twisting or turning, which could further harm your back.
Pocket for Removable Hot or Cold Pack
A reusable gel pack is also included with this stabilizer for ruptured disc care, providing your choice of cold or heat therapy. Such therapy can be essential for the healing process of your herniated disc condition. Applying an ice pack to your back will help reduce uncomfortable swelling and inflammation. Whereas, applying a heating pad helps promote blood flow and relaxes your muscles. You can remove the gel pack depending on the stage of recovery you’re currently in. Consult with your doctor for further guidance.
Right Fit for Any Size of Individual!
This hardshell back brace comes in sizes S all the way up to 4XL, making it easy for anyone to find the right fit! You no longer have to be frustrated looking for an extra large, big and tall back brace that works for plus size body frames.
Check out our wide selection of braces for herniated discs to help you find the best brace for you!
Frequently Asked Questions About This Rigid Back Brace for Bulging Discs
- What conditions / injuries does this brace treat? The LSO back brace helps stabilize your thoracic vertebra to your sacroiliac (SI) joint, offering relief for a variety of conditions and injuries, including ruptured, protruding, or slipped discs (herniation), scoliosis, spinal narrowing, facet syndrome, weakness of the lumbosacral region, spondylolisthesis, sciatic neuritis, and more.
- How does it work? The combination of anterior and posterior panels supply circumferential compression and stabilization, reducing pressure on your spine by shifting some of the load to your abdomen.
- When should I wear it? This orthopedic girdle for a man or woman can be worn throughout the day for stabilization from the T9 to SC junction. We don’t recommend wearing this brace while sleeping but rather purchasing a bed specifically engineered for degenerative disc disease, etc. If you have any questions about therapy for a specific condition, please check with a healthcare professional.
- What is it made of? Made of a soft, breathable, latex-free nylon / polyester blend and elastic double-pull tension straps. Panels are made of contoured, hard ABS plastic. The non-toxic gel pack is composed of carbomethylcellulosesodium, water, and glycerol.
- Who can wear this medical device for spinal support? Men and women of all ages can benefit from this brace, so long as their waist circumference is 68 inches or less.
- What size should I buy? Using a soft / flexible tape measure, find the circumference around your waist, in inches. This medical support wrap accommodates waist circumferences up to 68 inches.
- When should I use hot vs. cold therapy? Typically, cold therapy is recommended for the first 48 hours following an injury, and hot therapy is recommended 48 hours after an injury.
- How do I use the gel packs?
- Cold Therapy Instructions:
- Place flattened gel pack in the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Position inside the back pocket, then apply brace as directed.
- Use in 20-minute increments or as medically prescribed. Allow skin to warm before reapplying.
- Hot Therapy Instructions:
- Placed flattened gel pack in microwave and heat for 1 minute.
- Carefully check temperature, squeezing gel around to distribute heat.
- Reheat in 30-second increments until the desired temperature is reached.
- How do I put it on? Center the back panel over your spine with the BraceAbility logo on top. Attach one end of the back panel to the abdominal panel. Wrap the abdominal panel around your body so it is centered over your stomach. Grab the other end of the back panel, wrap it around your body, and attach it to the abdominal panel. Readjust so the brace is centered and secure. Then, pull each double-pull tension strap across your stomach and attach it on the opposite side. For the best fit and easiest application, you may want someone to help you put on the brace, especially the first time.
- How do I adjust the brace? Grab the double-pull tension straps (located on the outside of the brace) and adjust them to make it either tighter or looser, then re-apply the fasteners.
- How tall is this brace? The back panel is 15 1/4 inches tall and the abdominal panel is 9 3/4 inches tall.
- Washing Instructions: Remove the abdominal panel, back panel, and gel pack before cleaning. Close all of the fastener straps and hand wash in warm water with mild soap. Allow the brace to air dry completely before reapplying.
- Other features:
- Unique modular design reduces intradiscal pressure through circumferential compression
- Unisex brace fits average to overweight men and women.
- Provided compression stimulates healing, reducing inflammation.
- Color: Black.
- Weight: Small weighs 2 pounds 14 ounces, Medium weighs 3 pounds 3 ounces, Large weighs 3 pounds 4 ounces, XL weighs 3 pounds 5 ounces, 2XL weighs 3 pounds 5 ounces, 3XL weighs 3 pounds 6 ounces, 4XL weighs 3 pounds 7 ounces.
Fit and support
I have 6 fractured vertebrae and this brace is more comfortable than the full back brace the pt department made me wear at the hospital.
I bought two. One with the hard brace and one just the large wrap. They are excellent. Great quality material, easy to use and very supportive. Definitely helps stabilize your back. You can wear them under or over your clothing. Very happy I bought these!
I love wearing this back brace. I feel secure and my pain is minimal
Timely Delivery and Fit
I am very, very pleased with the timely delivery and fit of the brace I ordered! Thanks!!!
Good it does the job quite a bit of relief right off the bat looking forward to using it more.