When to Use This Forefoot Offloading Shoe
There are a number of conditions that require limited or no weight bearing on the front of your foot for treatment. While using crutches can get the job done, they can be a major nuisance and result in your muscles wasting away in the meantime. In some cases, wearing a wedge orthotic such as this medical shoe is a preferable alternative to crutches.
Clinical evidence shows the Forefoot Off-Loading Shoe significantly reduces weight-bearing pressure on your forefoot and toes, promoting faster healing after surgery or trauma.
The Healing Shoe is compatible with Darco Peg Assist Pressure Relief Insoles. Used alone, the post-surgery support lowers forefoot pressure by as much as 57%, but clinical studies have shown pressure reduction by as much as 75% under your big toe. When combined with Darco’s innovative Peg-Assist insole you can achieve even greater customizable, localized-pressure relief.
The key element that sets this bunion surgery shoe apart from other post-surgery boots or shoes is its 15° dorsi-angle bottom. This forces you to shift your weight to your heel when walking. The lack of pressure on the front of your sole reduces foot and toe pain and gives the injured area a chance to heal correctly. See BraceAbility’s full line of braces for foot conditions.
This lightweight and low-profile post-surgery boot can help with a number of foot and toe conditions, including:
- Diabetic foot ulcers
- Bunions (hallux valgus) or after a bunionectomy
- Mallet, claw, or hammer toe post-op recovery
- Plantar corns removal
- Broken toes or forefoot fractures (including Lisfranc fractures)
- Ball of foot pain from trauma to metatarsalgia
- Morton's neuroma
Avoid further injury—preventing knee, hip, and back pain—due to leg length discrepancy when wearing a medical shoe with the Evenup Shoe Balancer. The Evenup is the easy way to “even up” leg length from your hip to the sole of your foot, making walking with a shoe safe and pain free.
5 Advantages of This Heel Walking Boot for Diabetic Foot Ulcer Treatment
Finding the right medical shoe or boot following surgery for a broken or injured foot can be an intimidating task. This post-operative, non-weight bearing surgical shoe offers unbeatable support and protection after a metatarsal fracture, plantar surgery, toe wound, and more. Following is a list of unbeatable features that make this post-op shoe one of the best options on the market:
Wide Footbed and Square-Toe Design
This orthopedic forefoot off-loading shoe has a wide footbed and square-toe design, which acts as a bumper to provide extra protection and prevent your toes, especially your pinky and big toe, from rubbing against the brace or some other surface. It can be worn on your right or left foot thanks to its squared footbed.
Comfortable Padding and EVA Foam Insole
Padded lining along the inner portion of the shoe is soft against your skin as well as durable. A lightweight, EVA (Ethylene Vinyl Acetate) foam insole makes this toe fracture sandal comfortable for extended periods of use. The durable foam consists of thousands of bubbles filled with gas, making the material lightweight, flexible, and shock-absorbing.
Non-Skid Tread Enhances Safety and Protection
Adjustable Fasteners Easily Accommodate a Swollen or Bandaged Foot
Adjustable fasteners help accommodate post-surgical bulk, bandaging, and swelling after sustaining a foot or toe injury. Immediately after surgery, you will need more space due to swelling and dressings. Once swelling and inflammation have subsided and bandaging has been removed, you can tighten the fasteners.
Another bonus of this short bunionectomy boot is that the fasteners are much stronger than most. That is because they are medical-grade, meaning they are ten times stronger than the retail-grade fastener you’ll find on braces at CVS, Walgreens, or your local drugstore.
Low-Profile and Lightweight Fit
A semi-open style and airflow-friendly material make this post-op shoe breathable for all-day comfort. Designed with healing and user comfort in mind, this forefoot offloading shoe has a relatively low-profile fit, allowing users to remain active and independent throughout the recovery process.
Frequently Asked Questions About This Medical Shoe After Bunion Surgery
- What conditions / injuries does this post-op shoe treat? Perfect for use following toe and foot surgery or injuries including diabetic foot ulcers, broken toes, hairline stress fractures, post-op bunion removal (bunionectomy), after hammertoe surgery, Lisfranc fractures, toe sprains or strains, bruised forefoot bones, metatarsal breaks, Morton's neuroma, metatarsalgia, and general ball of foot pain.
- How does it work? This ortho wedge shoe is designed to reduce weight-bearing pressure on your forefoot and toes, promoting faster healing after surgery, trauma or when forefoot wounds or ulcerations are present.
- Who can wear this brace? Available in sizes ranging from small to XL, fitting a wide variety of adult women and men, as well as teenagers and youth.
- Will this fit my child? Certain sizes will fit kids. See our size chart for specifics.
- What size should I get? View our sizing graphic. This table shows size conversions between men's, women's, and big kid's shoes.
- When should I wear it? This toe brace can be worn throughout the day for post-op support and forefoot protection. Ask your doctor before wearing this shoe while sleeping.
- What is it made of? This broken metatarsal treatment brace is made of a hard rubber sole, EVA foam insole, polyester lining, and medical-grade fastener.
- Can I drive while wearing it? It is not recommended to use while driving if the shoe is being worn on your driving foot.
- How do I put it on? With the straps undone, place your affected foot inside the shoe. The forefoot strap is adjustable. Remove and reattach to accommodate bandaging. Feed the top strap through the D-ring. Wrap the top strap across your foot and attach the fastener.
- Can I wear it on either foot? This walking cast shoe is universal, so it will fit your right or left foot.
- Washing Instructions: Close fasteners, and hand wash in warm water with mild detergent. Air dry.
- Other features:
- The non-skid tread provides extra stability while walking.
- Wide, square toe design acts as a buffer for protection.
- Do you need targeted offloading? Add a Peg-Assist Insole.
- Color: Black
- Small weighs 11 ounces
- Medium weighs 13 ounces
- Large weighs 15 ounces
- XL weighs 1.25 pounds
Very helpful with teaching me to walk & land on my heel due to toe amputation
Non Bearing Boot
The boot was a good purchased and the fit was good but I couldn’t wear it for long because I was unstable on it. Doctor stated that would have been a good boot to wear but since I am using a walker and prone to fall, it wasn’t safe for me. Overall this is a good product for someone who is not as disabled as I.
Excellent and quick service!!
Works as it says...a perfect fit! Thanks!!
Easy to put on.
This really helps in the middle of the night when putting the Cam boot on takes too long.