Sleeping in the Stretch Boot Helps Treat Plantar Fasciitis, Achilles Tendonitis, & Heel Spurs
Having foot pain is never fun, regardless if it's in the morning, afternoon, or at night. Whether you have plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, or heel spurs, this sleeping stretch boot helps overnight to heal your foot.
This versatile boot holds the foot in a dorsiflexion position, stretching out the fascia. While you sleep, it’s common for you to sleep with your feet pointed down causing them to tense up. This soft plantar style boot helps remove any stress or tensing that your foot would endure while you sleep.
This specific splint support also has a removable wedge feature, (see photo #8 and #9) adding five degrees of elevation for that extra stretch. It’s great for plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, and heel spurs because it produces a light stretch of the Achilles tendon and calf, preventing the tendon from tightening up. Without the flexibility in your calf muscle, your foot will not bend up towards the need as easily as it should.
Although these conditions might seem similar, they have different symptoms and causes. Below are the various symptoms/causes of each condition:
- Plantar Fasciitis: Pain and stiffness in the bottom of the heel, usually in the morning. Pain can inflame again during the day after prolonged activity. This condition can be from being plus size, having high arches or flat feet, or being a long distance runner.
- Achilles Tendonitis: Pain, swelling, tenderness in the back of your foot above your heel. This pain can be a result from overuse activity, increasing your physical activity too quickly, wearing the wrong shoes (high heels), having flat feet, or if your muscles are too tight.
- Heel Spurs: This condition often doesn’t have any symptoms. You may have chronic pain from walking, jogging, or running that inflammation may develop in the area. Heel spurs are from calcium deposits build up from the heel bone and can occur over many months. They are a result of strains on the foot muscles and ligaments.
Interested in learning about other common foot conditions?
Stretches to Help Your Specific Foot Pain
Using the plantar style stretch boot while you sleep has been proven to dramatically reduce your foot pain. For any injury, there are many different ways of treatment and stretching can be extremely effective in foot conditions. As your night splint is helping to heal your foot pain, it’s always a good idea to do additional exercises during the day to help speed up recovery.
While all of these conditions involve similar muscles and tendons, there are a few separate stretches for each foot pain below:
Stretches for plantar fasciitis:
- Gastroc stretch: Place your foot flat on the floor with your knee straight, lean forward with your opposite foot extended in front of you while keeping most of the weight on your back foot. Hold that position until you feel the stretch in the back of your calf.
- Flexor Hallicus Longus stretch: Use a star step of wall to place your toes up vertically against the surface you’re using. Keep your heel on the floor as you bend your knee slightly forward until you feel the stretch in the bottom of your foot.
- You can read more about plantar fasciitis here!
Stretches for achilles tendonitis:
- Toe stretch: Sit on a chair and extend your leg so that your heel is on the floor. Reach down with your hand and try to pull your big toe up and back. If you’re unable to reach your toes, wrap a towel around the bottom of your foot and pull that forward instead.
- Simple stretch: Stand on the balls of your feet on the edge of the stairs or curb with your legs straight. Drop both heels down and hold that position.
- Check out our blog for more diagnosis and treatment information about this condition.
Stretches for heel spurs:
- Countertop stretch: Lean forward onto a countertop with your feet spread apart with one foot in front of the other. Flex your knees and squat down, keeping your heels on the ground for as long as you can.
Features of the Sleeping Stretch Boot Splint for Nighttime Use
This removable boot for plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, and heel spurs is a comfortable way to heal your most painful foot condition. This product has many additional features that makes it one of the best boots for your foot:
- Perfect for treating plantar fasciitis, achilles tendonitis, heel spurs, and other foot pain
- Holds in a dorsiflexion position throughout the night
- Removable wedge that allows an extra five degrees flexion
- Lightweight and comfortable material helps make sleeping with the boot bearable
- Easy velcro and clip straps
- Works for either right or left foot
- Non-slip tread on the bottom makes getting up and walking in the middle of the night possible
- Neutral black color
Check out BraceAbility’s whole line of night splints!
|Size||Men's Shoe Size||Women's Size|
|Small||Up to 7||Up to 7.5|
|Medium||7.5 - 10||8 - 10|
|Measured by U.S. shoe size|