Best Thumb Splint for Arthritis and More
This thumb joint immobilizer can protect and immobilize both the metacarpophalangeal joint and the thumb saddle joint. This might be needed following damage to the ulnar collateral ligament of the thumb or for thumb arthritis treatment, including osteoarthritis of the thumb or rhizarthrosis.
This arthritis thumb splint is constructed of extremely resilient plastic, so one can rest assured the joints of the thumb are protected and one will not accidently aggravate or worsen one’s thumb injury.
This support for the thumb joint is also designed with user comfort in mind. The thumb spica splint features perforation so that one’s hand can breathe and will not get sweaty. The hand support for arthritis also uses a special raised edge in the commissure junction between the thumb and forefinger, which helps avoid pressure points.
And for additional comfort, the thumb sprain splint also comes with a black undersock. The soft material keeps the thumb brace for arthritis from rubbing or chaffing against the skin. These comfort features helps this Bort SellaDur brace stand out from other hand braces for arthritis.
Dealing with Arthritis in Thumb and Other Injuries
When one falls, a natural reaction is to try to “break the fall” with the hands. Landing on your thumb with great force or when gripping a ski pole can stretch or tear the ligaments, causing a thumb sprain sometimes referred to as skiers’ or gamekeepers’ thumb (as in hunting, not video gaming). Check out our full listing or braces for skiers.
Treating skiers’ thumb pain generally involves frequent icing, immobilizing the thumb and taking anti-inflammatory pain medications. Of course, one should always follow the advice of a medical professional. A complete tear of the ulnar collateral ligament will require surgery to repair. Whether one needs immobilization for at-home treatment or following surgery, this brace for sprained thumb care can provide comfortable support and immobilization.
This comfortable thumb splint can also help with arthritis. Thumb arthritis, often referred to as basal joint arthritis or thumb rhizarthrosis, is actually the most common form of arthritis in the hand. It typically causes swelling, stiffness and pain at the base of the thumb, as well as diminished range of motion and grip. Trauma or injury can increase one’s risk of developing thumb arthritis, or one might experience wear-and-tear osteoarthritis.
Treatment for arthritis in the thumb often includes wearing a splint either at night or around the clock. Doing so diminishes pain, keeps the joint in its proper position and forces one to rest this area of the body. All of this can help reduce inflammation. Wearing a splint for saddle joint arthritis also protects the joint from further injury.
Other modes of treatment for thumb arthritis typically include modifying one’s activities, switching to arthritis-friendly hand tools, taking pain killers, applying heat and cold therapy, performing range-of-motion exercises and possibly a receiving corticosteroid injection. In more severe/advanced cases, surgery may be necessary.
Bort Arthritis Thumb Splint Features
This thumb support for arthritis and sprains, including skier’s thumb treatment is a popular product for good reason. It is effective and comfortable. Following is a breakdown of the key attributes for the Bort SellaDur immobilizing thumb splint.
- The sprained thumb brace immobilizes the metacarpophalangeal joint and saddle joint of your thumb with its resilient, rigid plastic material
- Indications: Thumb sprains, lesion of the ulnar ligament (skiers’ thumb), thumb arthritis (AKA, rhizarthrosis, basal arthrosis) and other injuries where partial immobilization is needed
- The perforated holes in the finger support offer comfort and breathability
- This thumb arthritis treatment has a raised edge at the thumb/forefinger area to avoid unwanted pressure
- The thumb/hand splint comes with a soft black undersock for excellent comfort. This undersock liner is machine washable.
- This rigid thumb brace is made of thermoplastic material which is extremely durable, but can be cut with scissors and reshaped using heat from a hairdryer.
- Splint for the thumb joint is simple to apply and easy to adjust using the velcro strap
- Hand washable with soap and warm water; lay flat to dry
- The thumb brace leaves other fingers free for motion
- Color: Dark gray
- Comes in three different sizes based on the circumference of your wrist
- Small: 6”-6.75”
- Medium: 6.75”-7.5”
- Large: 7.5”-8.25”
|Size||Circumference of IP Joint|
|Small||Up to 2.5"|
|Medium||2.5" - 2.75"|
|Large||2.75" - 3.25"|
|Measurement point: Circumference of Interphalangeal Joint (Point A). (see image above)|